last friday we had sushi for dinner and chawanmushi and it turned out that my son and daughter loved it...they ate 2 cups of chawanmushi i supried at my daughter as she's only 7 month...so today i thought of trying to make chawanmushi - a japanese savoury custard, i had a chat with my friend Ando and asked him the recipe which he then asked his mom. Its very easy to make only that you should watch over it as you don't want to over cook it!
now here's the recipe....
1tsp shoyu - japanese soy sauce or you can use light soy sauce
1tsp dashi - soup stock (i think its fish and kelp base)
2stick of crab stick
some cubed chicken breast
shitake mushroom sliced -* i use dried mushroom which i boil it to soften it and drain all its liquid otherwise it'll give a very strong taste and smell.
1 1/2 cups of water.
this is how you do it...
- beat eggs gently - avoid making bubbles set aside
- boil water then add shoyu and dashi
- once it starts to simmer add in the chicken meat, stir and let the chicken cook.
- then add the crabstick and mushroom. let it sit for a while to cool a little.
- once the stok is cooled strain it then add in the egg mixture. mix well.
- arrange remikins and put in the cooked chicken meat, mushroom and crab stick into each remikins.
- pour in the egg mixture then steam for 5-10 minutes or until custard set.