I was watching AFC the other day and there was a talk about rice pudding on how to cook, how to impart the flavor, that its a great comfort food etc...i never had rice pudding before even when i was studying in the UK . i was curious but never had a chance to try one before so i really dunno whats the fuss about rice pudding so i decided to make some to try and appreciate the filling comfort food.
I've made a chocolate rice pudding with almond flakes. it turned out beautifully but not picture perfect i have to say coz i made it at night as i was craving for something sweetand filling at the time. its easy to make, great tasting and fills you up in no time (eh what do you expect its rice, its supposed to fill you up) any way..here's what you need..
1/3 of short grain rice or Japanese rice <--coz its starchy 1c of milk 1c of water 30-50g of dark chocolate (this actually really is up to you if you want vanilla you can omit this) 2-3tbs brown sugar - more if you like it really sweet. a pinch of salt 1 egg yolk
- heat water and milk until slightly simmer
- meanwhile wash the rice and soak it a little then add in the milk mixture
- let it cook for a while. once its starts boiling add in a pinch of salt. let it cook for 15 minutes
- then the water and milk will starts to thicken a little add in the chocolate stir until its completely melted.
- then add in sugar and let it cook for another 15minutes or so.
- once its done the texture should be thick and the rice is cooked thoroughly remove from fire let it cool slightly then add in the yolk stir well. the heat of the rice will gently cook the yolk. this will give the pudding a custard consistency.
- serve it in a ramekin hot or cold its to your fancy...