tonight for some reason i feel like eating beef stew with some toast...sound plain and unappetizing huh? maybe...but you just gotta try before you judge...we all ate the whole pot of stew without realizing it...i was surprised myself. the smell of the stew was exactly like ones u used to have when i was studying in The UK. the the first taste of that tender beef almost melts in the mouth really brings back the wonderful and most cherished memories...ahh~
what you need:
300g beef cut in cubes : i use those ready cut beef written suitable for stew bought in cold storage.
1 stick of celery - cut coarsely
2 large tomatoes.- cut in 6 wedges each
1cup tomato puree
2 large potatoes - cut in chunky cubes
2 bay leaves
1 sprig rosemary- i use only half coz my family doesn't like the overwhelming aroma of rosemary.
1 carrot stick - cut in chunks
1 large bombay onion - cut in chunks
2 clove garlic- coarsely chopped
salt to taste
1tsp paprika powder
a pinch of black pepper
1ltr stock - i use my homemade chicken stock (i never buy chicken stock *wink*)
1tbsp olive oil
sugar to taste - about 1 1/2 tsp. +-
- prepping the beef by putting some salt and paprika to taste.
- then saute or brown the beef. if using small pan then do it in section otherwise you'll steam it instead of browning it, you don't want that. then set aside.
- heat olive oil, then saute onion until fragrant, then add in the garlic. stir until fragrant then add in the carrots. stir for a little bit then add in the chicken stock and tomato puree
- let it simmer then add in the tomatoes, beef, potatoes, bay leaves and Rosemary and the seasonings (salt, black pepper and sugar to taste)
- let it cook and simmer for about 30-45 minutes adding water and stir occasional to avoid burning
- when the beef is tender (as do the potatoes ;)) and the sauce thickens, you may turn off the heat.
unfortunately i don't have my own picture for this stew coz as you know i do not own any camera only my trusty handphone nokia N series...since i made this in the evening the picture turned out badly that i'm embarrased to show it here so i pick one up from google images that looks closest to my stew. don't ask me the which site i can't remember but thanx to the owner, no Puns intended.