The buns before steamed
Today i'm in the mood for Steamed buns...so i woke up very early in the morning to make some (coz yo know making steam buns is easy but like any bread it takes some time making it..) I've made steamed buns with curried chicken fillings and plain old steamed buns called Shanghai Buns eaten with blackpepper chicken dip...yummm~just talking about this makes my tummy rumbles coz i love steamed buns any way there's the recipe if you wanna try making it... by the way i owe this recipe to Lina my trusted cooking teacther *wink*
(A) - Sift all ingredient A
350g Hong Kong flour / Pau flour
1tsp double action baking powder
1tsp instant dry yeast
(C) - Combine and set a side
200ml lukewarm water
40g castor sugar
This is how you do it:
- Before you start cut 10 pieces of parchment paper about 5cm x 5cm, set a side
- Put (A) in the mixer then add (B). mix usung dough blade
- Gradually add (C) until you'll get a soft dough.
- Remove dought put in basin, cover & let it rise for 15 minutes.
- Once it rised punch the dough down and knead on a table surface to form a long roll
- Cut into 10 even pieces.
- Roll the individual piece making it a flat disc, add in the fillings then close/wrap it as you would when making a pau, when done place it on a cutted parchment paper.
- For Shanghai buns, from 1 pc of dough; divide into equal 3 pcs.
- Roll all 3 making it like a string about 10cm or so (if you can make it longer without breaking it the better), then spin it together so it'll have a swirl like design (this is hard to explain, should've take some pictures making it) -or better yet, you could just roll and make it it like a cinnamon roll bun... maybe when you look at the picture you'll have the idea...
- Let all the prepared buns rest and rise of another 12-15minutes.
- Ready to steam
What you need:-
300g chicken meat -diced
200g diced potatoes - boiled until tender then set a side
100g blended onions
1tsp grated ginger
1clove garlic - to be blended together with the onions.
2tbs of curry powder
1tbs of chilli powder / chilli boh- optional (i didn't add this)
Salt and sugar to taste.
oil for frying
How you do it:
- Heat oil at medium heat, then fry the onion mixture, ginger and curry & chilli powder until fragrant about 3-5minutes.
- then add in the chicken meat, cook until the chicken meat is almost done then add in the boiled potatoes.
- Stir and add the seasonings (salt and sugar) to taste. Keep on stiring until all the ingredients are well cooked.
- Spread it in a tray to cool it off before you add in the buns.
300g Chicken meat - diced and season slightly with salt
mix vege about a handfull
1 clove of garlic - chopped
11/2tsp of cornflour mix with 4tbs of water
1tsp Dark soy sauce
1tsp of Oyster sauce
a dash of sesame oil
a generous amount of blackpepper
salt and sugar to taste
oil to fry
How you do it is..:
- heat oil, and fry the garlic until slightly brown
- add in the chicken meat, fry until half cooked
- add in the mix vege, stir.
- Add in all the seasonings, stir and let it simmer for a while.
- then add in the cornflour mixture. cook until the sauce is thicken.
- ready to serve.