I've actually made this sometime ago using my brand new ice cream maker. yeah, now i have an ice cream maker. it was my birthday gift from hubby...he didn't figure it out by himself but i did told him about my wish list and the ice cream maker is one of them. We had a hard time finding it. apparently they didn't keep stock (they as in Seng Heng, Best Genki, Courts Mammoth and other appliance shop and this also including Metrojaya kitchen department) they only have display set. I initially wanted Kenwood but since we went and search coutless shops with no avail i was about to settle with any brands that they might have. then we went to this one store i can't remember the name was it Hup Seng or something can't remember, it was our last try and lucky for me they have 1 at stock. And hurray for me...
After getting that, i ran to the grocery shop and purchace ingredients for ice cream to experiment. And this is my 2nd try. the 1st try didn't freeze well coz i didn't wait for the mixture to cool... (ya lah too gang ho to try new gadget..excited maaa~) BIG mistake!!!
Anyway there are basically 2 type of ice cream custard base and non custard base. custard base are those with egg in the mixture and there are also sorbet which i will eventually try and make some too...the recipe that i'm posting is the custard base and it call for a lot of egg yolks.... ^_^
you can imagine that custard base is alot richer and creamier that those are not custard base and of course its not suitable for those on diet!
what you need:
9 egg yolks
500ml whipping cream
30ml/2tbsp vanilla extract
100g sugar (you can add more sugar if you like it sweet)
- Prepare the ice cream make as instructed by the manufacturer.
- heat milk and whipping cream on a gentle heat until simmer then remove from heat.
- while doing that, mix egg yolks and sugar until creamy.
- then add in 1/3 of the milk mixture in the egg mixture while you constantly whisking the mixture. then add in slightly more of the milk mixture, whick well. then pour in the egg mixture in the milk mixture and mix well. (this will reduce chances for the egg to scramble)
- cook in a medium heat until the mixture thickens like custard.
- cover the custard with cling wrap right on to its surface to prevent skin forming. let it COOL completely <---make sure you cool it or it won't freeze well..
- once the custard is cooled, on the ice cream maker then slowly pour in the pixture while the paddle of the ice cream make is moving.
- let it churn until the ice cream is ready.
- the ice cream should be spoonable. transfer the ice cream and let it freeze for at least 2-3 hrs before consuming for better result
you can add in fruits like strawberry or blueberry jem just when the ice cream is almost ready, then it'll be a strawberry ripple/bluberry ripple...yummy..
i actually made the strawberry ripple ice cream but forgot to take pictures...